From time to time I will dip into my previous posts from my old blog to share when they feel right. Yesterday I had quite a battle with my ego and this morning was a struggle, so I thought I’d share this piece with you. Hope you appreciate it. I did when rereading it.
Slow Dancing with My Ego
(Originally posted on 17 December 2021 on MontysScribbles.com)
I almost skipped today. My “daily” meditation that is. I’ve been feeling quite down lately. For various reasons and just because. It’s a familiar feeling. Motivation is always one of the first to go. To work. To live. But that is not the point. Only an explanation for why I almost skipped today.
I didn’t skip though. I took a small step toward the light and sat. I sat with myself. An unlikable but dependable companion. I sat with Him too. Not God. But a higher (than I) power that shares His wisdom with me when I choose to listen. His name is Jeff. A bit of an ordinary name for a higher power, but perhaps that’s a lesson too?
He asked me to dance. To slow dance more specifically. My dance partner? He left the choice to me. Any one of my many insecurities would do. But my partner chose me. He bullied his way to the front of the line whining “Me! Me! Me!”
I succumbed. I embraced my partner tentatively at first. With shame. Reluctantly acknowledging his existence, I wrapped my arms stiffly around him. Then I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. And another. My arms softened gradually with acceptance. No love. But compassion. A moment of peace.
Jeff chuckled at the imagined site of me. I smiled. I’m grateful I didn’t skip today.
- A MiracleAnother good reminder for myself. Originally published in Thirteen Words. Be well, Monty
- Joyful JackYesterday, upon returning home. Jack was super happy and excited to see me. Without a bath or a trim in over a month he isContinue reading “Joyful Jack”
- Day 18: Going HomeFor appropriate context, you will want to first read these posts: “Eleven Days Ago” , “Day 12”, and “Day 13”. This afternoon we will beContinue reading “Day 18: Going Home”
- Thirteen SpiceI picked up a snack at the hospital lobby cafe. It’s a Thirteen Spice crawfish flavored pretzel stick (pic below). I’m a big fan ofContinue reading “Thirteen Spice”
- Found Poetry x WordleSo I have an idea that combines two of my favorite things and creates what I hope might be a new favorite thing. I loveContinue reading “Found Poetry x Wordle”