Last Saturday I posted the third “Get Your Golden Shovel” prompt as a collaborative project for our writing community. In this round-up, I share my golden shovel poem as well as those that were contributed by the community.
What’s a golden shovel poem? It’s a poetic form originally created by Terrance Hayes. Check out the rules here.
I want to give a big thanks to each of you that were willing to give this experiment a try:
@gigglingfattie (No Love For Fatties)
Eric Drury (The Thoughtful Beggar)
Golden Shovel No. 03
“I cannot rub the strangeness from my sight”After Apple Picking by Robert Frost (1874-1963)
By Monty Vern
Chase the cannot
From the rub
Of darkness, embrace the
Of yes, peeling my eyes out from
lids, rediscovering sight.
This week Kathleen “took a poetic leap” with the form:
I cannot rub the strangeness from my sight.
Nor be the One
Who sees clearly.
But what will trouble
The days and the
Puddle of sleep
Of eternal mine,
For I cannot,
My sight.by Kathleen
And Dream took on quite the challenge by combining last week’s prompt “cocoa in pods and alligator pears” with this week‘s prompt to come up with this creative piece:
There was this young boy, the shade of cocoa
who always preferred to travel in
Off we went to forests far and
came across the might alligator
we ran and ran till we reached the grove of pears
Cannot believe that we ran that fast. Cannot
- Getting OrganizedI spent a couple hours in the early morning yesterday cleaning up my home workspace. I didn’t take a before picture but, trust me, itContinue reading “Getting Organized”
- The Greens are VibrantWe’ve entered the rainy season here in Shanghai. I believe today is the official first day, but we got a little head start. The greensContinue reading “The Greens are Vibrant”
- Reading LukeAt the recommendation of my brother I’m reading Luke in the Bible. I’ve tried to read the Bible before but I always got stuck earlyContinue reading “Reading Luke”
- Gone Bald (Again)I did it. I shaved it all off. This isn’t my first time. The first time was my senior year in high school. Or moreContinue reading “Gone Bald (Again)”
- UnstapledI took Mrs. Monty in to the hospital today to have her surgical staples removed. She was a trouper as she alway is. It clearlyContinue reading “Unstapled”
And February is over. Now what?
LikeLiked by 1 person
Week 4 prompt is issued and I will announce the next steps in the round-up at the end of the week. Short answer is I will relaunch again in April with some adjustments that allow for greater flexibility.
LikeLiked by 1 person