Last Saturday I posted the fourth (and final, for now) “Get Your Golden Shovel” prompt as a collaborative project for our writing community. In this round-up, I share my golden shovel poem as well as those that were contributed by the community.
What’s a golden shovel poem? It’s a poetic form originally created by Terrance Hayes. Check out the rules here.
I want to give a big thanks to each of you that were willing to give this week’s challenge a try:
Golden Shovel No. 04
“The sky is blue, or the rain falls with its spills of pearl”from “Spring” by Mary Oliver
A Mid-Winter’s New Moon
By Monty Vern
Soft pillows stained wet by the
Anger streaming down her setting-sun sky
Flushed cheeks; She is,
No was, the warmth in my black and blue
Existence; I abandoned her or
No, I banished myself from the
On a stifling hot mid-August night with
Encouragement that coaxes me open to see the beauty of a pearl.
The blue-blood hue around
exhausted eyes and their
Salt-soaked pillows, Her light leaves
And I shiver naked in the bitter cold of
A mid-winter’s new moon; Let the
End of my time on this world
As you can see I extended the poem by using the next line in Mary Oliver’s original poem: “Around their wreath of darkness the leaves of the world unfurl.”
What’s next for The Golden Shovel? Stay tuned for a relaunch in April during Poetry Month. I’ll be making a couple of adjustments to give folks a bit more flexibility on prompts and timing.
Meanwhile, I’ve got a slight twist I’d like to try in March. Check out The Silver Lining. Hope to see you there.
- A MiracleAnother good reminder for myself. Originally published in Thirteen Words. Be well, Monty
- Joyful JackYesterday, upon returning home. Jack was super happy and excited to see me. Without a bath or a trim in over a month he isContinue reading “Joyful Jack”
- Day 18: Going HomeFor appropriate context, you will want to first read these posts: “Eleven Days Ago” , “Day 12”, and “Day 13”. This afternoon we will beContinue reading “Day 18: Going Home”
- Thirteen SpiceI picked up a snack at the hospital lobby cafe. It’s a Thirteen Spice crawfish flavored pretzel stick (pic below). I’m a big fan ofContinue reading “Thirteen Spice”
- Found Poetry x WordleSo I have an idea that combines two of my favorite things and creates what I hope might be a new favorite thing. I loveContinue reading “Found Poetry x Wordle”