Thoughts on Aging in Pieces

I’m not aging equally. Two of my toe nails have decided to sprint ahead. Thickening. Yellowing. Ugly.

My not-so-baby face still tricks quite a few. Three and a half decades old they predict. Until they inspect the hairs sprouting unseemly out my nose, foresting my ears, playing connect the brows upon my forehead.

If I let it grow, my beard is silver. It would be distinguished if not for accenting three rolls of chins. Maybe more of a sign of gluttony than aging, but they seem correlated in my case.

Parts of my brain are sharp. Sharper than ever. Especially the lobes responsible for impatience and grumpiness. But there is the grey matter that seems to have faded along with short-term memory. And caring about what others think of me.

I’m not sure what’s next. Perhaps the world will grow another half-inch around me. I had to adjust my drivers license when I renewed it. I’m not sure if I shrunk physically or just came to terms with the truth. I don’t worry too much about it. I just let my belt out a bit, and think of some nerdy dad joke about the conservation of energy. I’d repeat it here, but I don’t recall the punch-line.

I’m not sure how to end this piece. I guess I’m not ready for an ending.

Be well,

Monty

8 Comments

1. Catherine says:

Next will be: get off my lawn…

At our age – I suspect we are not that far away in age, we are a mix of experience and signs of those experiences painted on our bodies.
    And you know what?! It’s good that way.

Liked by 1 person

1. Monty Vern says:

Haha. Yes, I would say it’s a good thing to be able to show/witness our experience in physical form. Helps ensure we don’t forget all of those important lessons learned.

1. Catherine says:

So true. Your post reminded me of something.
        I am a young mom, had my first child at 21. My belly was full of stretch marks, and I mean really so full that two later pregnancies didn’t leave anytime marks… Hehe…
        When I was in labour and asked for an epidural, the anesthésiste came in, look at me with a mix of disgust and pity and said: oh my, so young and so many stretch marks, that’s not pretty at all.
        I was angry… My body has these marks because it grew another body inside. And I know genetics play a big part in all of this, but I was never embarrassed nor ashamed of those marks.
        Now, about grey hair… I am torn. I want to age in stride and appreciate every grey hair, but I am not old enough to look that old. Lol. Still, no dye right now. Hehe. (Also, I am 39 and rambling – which makes me feel as if I should apologise)

Liked by 1 person

2. Monty Vern says:

Never a need to apologize with me. I appreciate your sharing. All I can say is that the doctor who said that to you was a total asshole. Creating life is beautiful. I can’t relate on the aspect of carrying and growing a new life within…I can only be a witness, but it’s a miracle.

We had our daughter when I was 24 so not quite as young as you but certainly younger than the norm these days. I’ve got to watch her (and her brother) grow up into amazing people. My daughter will turn 25 this year. My son just turned 20 (I’m a month away from 49). I’ve made plenty of mistakes in life both as a person and a parent, but I can never regret anything because these two kids are the result of everything, mistakes and all.

3. Catherine says:

That last statement! Yes! I am often struggling, but these kids are who they are because of me and I cannot regret that.

Liked by 1 person

2. Oh it is tough to get older, isn’t it? In my head, I still feel like I’m 18 in many ways, although my body knows it’s approaching 60 and reminds me of it regularly.

Liked by 1 person

3. peckapalooza says:

I like getting older. Feels like I’m aging into my personality.

Liked by 1 person

1. Monty Vern says:

Interesting. I feel like I’m learning more to relax and have fun (be childish) as I get older. Haha.

Liked by 1 person