Since it’s poetry month, I thought I would try out some new forms and I bumped into a great blog post from A Different Perspective listing out 13 poetic form prompts. A big thanks to them for the inspiration
Write a Blues Stanza poem or
Write a poem incorporating the theme of resilience.A Different Perspective by muisopsis
– Three line stanzas
– Flexible but around 12 syllables with 4-6 stresses per line.
Line 1 is a statement
Line 2 is a restatement of line 1, slightly modified.
Line 3 is a response
– Rhyme scheme: aaa, bbb, ccc, …
Blues Stanza, as implied by the name, is a form inspired by blues music. Generally they have a theme of a complaint or lament. The structure is an adaptation of how blues lyrics may be spontaneous and the second line provides a bit of a break to allow for thinking time to come up with a response. Pretty cool!
Ok, time to get “bluesy” — and once again I’ll bring in the optional element of the prompt with a theme of resilience.
The Sun and I
Awake to my warmth its time to feel the light.
Welcome my warmth. Come on. Awake to my good sight.
I will. I will awake. Your shining so nice and bright.
What’s this? What’s this? Are those clouds in the sky?
What’s this? What’s this? Was the forecast a big lie?
Must you leave so quickly? I’ll miss you too much, sigh.
My early morning’s light too briskly fades away.
Our morning’s joy so bright too quickly fades away.
What’s the hurry? What’s the rush? Please awhile stay.
I’m still here. I’m here, hiding behind this dark rain cloud.
I’m hiding out. Can you see me peeking through this cloud?
Please don’t hide. Do not shy away. Shine bright. Be proud.
Alas the rain has come. The rain is surely here.
Alas your eyes are wet. Your tears are also here.
Its okay. I’ll be alright. Your a good friend dear.
The rain has not abated. It seems here to stay.
The rain has not abated. You’ve been crying all day.
Its okay. I’ll be alright. I’ll get through this day.
Its time. I’m setting, getting ready for the night.
The moon is rising signaling its time for night.
Yes, it’s been a hard day for us both. A battle. A fight.
In this nights moonlight, let us take a good rest.
Under this moon’s light, let us lay down and rest.
Good night! Good night! Todays been quite a hard test.
Good night! Good night! I’ll be back soon reborn.
Good night! Sleep tight! I’ll be here soon reborn.
Yes! Yes! Good night! See you early tomorrow morn!
Woah, that took a number of revisits to get the subjects in the conversation right throughout the poem. I do like repetition plus rhyming scheme, which provides a lot of musicality and rhythm. I’m not sure if I broke form by having shorter statements within some of the lines, but I like the effect. This is a form that I will definitely explore further in the future.
What do you think? Wanna give it a try?
- Salting the EarthSalting the Earth Torrents of tears flow down streaky cheeked hillsPuddling into overflowing pools under footSalting the earth barrenStripping soil of it’s soulHis body nowContinue reading “Salting the Earth”
- Portrait in BlueBe well, Monty
- Under the Earth’s ShadowI lay awake under the earth’s shadowGentle breathing curled at my feetA companion in this darknessHolding guard against The cold reality and coming lightFor I’mContinue reading “Under the Earth’s Shadow”
- Blue HeronBe well, Monty
- Endure MeEndure meEndure my cold feet under the sheetsEndure my rough breaths sawing through the night’s airMy tossing and turningMy hogging all the blanketsMy nightmare kicksMyContinue reading “Endure Me”
- DepartingBe well, Monty
- Scenes from TodayThese are untouched photographs from today’s walk on Bainbridge Island, Washington (just applied a simple frame). Be well, Monty
- Perched in the MoonlightBe well, Monty
- Playing with TimeBe well, Monty
- How Did I Get to This Beautiful Place?Be well, Monty
- Birds in FlightBe well, Monty
- Rising SunBe well, Monty
- Forest MoonBe well, Monty
- BlessedBe well, Monty
- Snowy SceneHappy snow day! Be well, Monty
- Peek-a-BooPoking my head up after a spontaneous hiatus. I hope you are all well – happy and healthy. I’m on holiday visiting my mom inContinue reading “Peek-a-Boo”
- A Return to PatternsBe well, Monty
- QuietHe’s been quiet lately. The voice in my head. The voice that is, quite frankly, a bit nuts. Often compelling me toward darkness. Vacillating betweenContinue reading “Quiet”
- TodayToday’s a gorgeous weather day. Cool with a light breeze. Bright and sunny aside from my spot in the shade of the tree above me.Continue reading “Today”
- Shine OnShine on, shine on, shine on meShine your light on meLight me up, cast away my doubtsLift me out of these shadowsI’m ready, I’m ready,Continue reading “Shine On”
- Here I Go AgainHere I go again. Interrupting this negative space with some generic typeface. No particular intentions. Just wanna release built-up tensions. It’s coming out in dripsContinue reading “Here I Go Again”
- A Test of the HeartI’m wearing a Holter heart monitor today and I can’t help but wonder if it can see past the irregular beats and witness how whollyContinue reading “A Test of the Heart”
- An Observation and a QueryA fly walks by. S t r e t c h i n g Its legs, I guess? Be well, Monty
- A Gentle Drizzle Sets the SceneA gentle drizzle sets the scene;The last of the season’s persimmons hang-on,Half-concealed behind leaves shimmering underA quiet concert of pitter-patter percussion. In quick succession aContinue reading “A Gentle Drizzle Sets the Scene”
- The BirdsThe birds are watching me from the wire above. What are they thinking? Do they see my sadness?Or are they too busy balancing in theContinue reading “The Birds”
- Mired in MudMired in mud.I don’t like this feeling, but I appreciate the alliteration. Mired in mud, mud, mud.Stuck in repetition. Mired,So tired — In mudOf sinsContinue reading “Mired in Mud”
- Let Me Be (Note to Self)Let me be angry. Without good reason.Let me be lonelyEven if not alone.Let me be sadJust because I am.Please, Let me be. Be well, Monty
- Morning CocktailMorning Cocktail 3 parts Zoloft 1 part AbilifyMix meditatively and pray for help with my unbeliefDilute to taste and swallow (along with my pride)Assume PeacefulContinue reading “Morning Cocktail”
- Rhyming InventoriesA Rhyming Inventory of Things I’ve Not Been Doing Because They Would Make Me Feel Better (and I Don’t Deserve To)1. Prayer or meditation2. TakeContinue reading “Rhyming Inventories”
- Poetic LicenseI applied for my poetic license today;It was rejected due to a grammatical error.Oh, The irony. Be well, Monty
- REDACTED⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️ Be well, Monty