Since it’s poetry month, I thought I would try out some new forms and I bumped into a great blog post from A Different Perspective listing out 13 poetic form prompts. A big thanks to them for the inspiration
Write an Rant Prose poem or
Write a poem about blindnessA Different Perspective by murisopsis
Here are the guidelines for Rant Prose:
So, I have to admit that I’ve been dreading this form. I think we are all so good at complaining in our lives and we share it openly in our tweets, and texts, and office conversations. I’m not sure, I’m up for this. I guess I could complain about complaining, but that seems a bit obnoxious since I DO complain plenty. Hmm. Let’s see how this goes.
I Can’t Complain
I can’t complain? Is that so? Not true, I’ll let you know.
For my iced coffee is too cold, my antiques are too old.
My puppy is too sweet, I’ve got too much to eat.
Worst of all I’ve too much time, this crosses the line.
So don’t tell me I can’t complain. Let me further explain.
My kids are too smart (and always do their fair part),
My wife is too kind (what a terrible find),
Oh and don’t get me going about all the chores being finished! The laundry folded! the dishes washed! the floors mopped! I’ve got nothing to do but drink beer and learn Finnish.
As you can see, my life is a contemporary dystopia. I can’t even write a rant without rhymes coming to my mind. This is supposed to be prose without any set form, yet I’m rhyming up a right ol’ storm. I must confess, this is turning into quite the poetic mess. Now where was I? Ah, still complaining I guess.
Let’s see. Let’s see. There are still a few things bothering me. Like sunshine and good wine and the absolute worstest thing of all is how everything seems to be just fine.
So you see, as I’ve clearly explained, I’ve got every right to complain. Now tell me you agree (or I’ll continue to argue and plea).
Well a bit snarky I guess, but I can’t complain. Hope you enjoyed. This was the final poetic form prompt in this series. I can’t thank @murisopsis enough for all of the inspiration these prompts provided. I’ve had so much fun learning hands-on as well as reading all the great pieces from the other participants. THANK YOU!
- Getting OrganizedI spent a couple hours in the early morning yesterday cleaning up my home workspace. I didn’t take a before picture but, trust me, itContinue reading “Getting Organized”
- The Greens are VibrantWe’ve entered the rainy season here in Shanghai. I believe today is the official first day, but we got a little head start. The greensContinue reading “The Greens are Vibrant”
- Reading LukeAt the recommendation of my brother I’m reading Luke in the Bible. I’ve tried to read the Bible before but I always got stuck earlyContinue reading “Reading Luke”
- Gone Bald (Again)I did it. I shaved it all off. This isn’t my first time. The first time was my senior year in high school. Or moreContinue reading “Gone Bald (Again)”
- UnstapledI took Mrs. Monty in to the hospital today to have her surgical staples removed. She was a trouper as she alway is. It clearlyContinue reading “Unstapled”
- Partially FiguredBe well, Monty
- 3amI’ve been waking up at about 3am the past week or so. I’m fully awake and there is no question that my sleep for theContinue reading “3am”
- HorizonBe well, Monty
- Wound UpWound Up Amorphous thoughts twirling and whirling; rushing through widening gaps in my failing damn mind! Splashing forcefully against blade; Spinning my wheels and gearsContinue reading “Wound Up”
- PlayfulBe well, Monty
- Dragon in FlightBe well, Monty
- All of MeAll of Me The beauty in God, as I am coming to understand Him, is that He is all knowing. That I don’t need toContinue reading “All of Me”
- Morning ConcertIt’s drizzling around me. I first noticed the patter upon the umbrella above. A little too heavy to be the mosquitos dancing. A little tooContinue reading “Morning Concert”
- The Day After YesterdayThe Day After Yesterday The morning is cool. The air is a fresh floral green.The light is bright beyond the shade tree’s shadow. My mindContinue reading “The Day After Yesterday”
- Another Floral PatternBe well, Monty
- Weave TooBe well, Monty
- WeaveBe well, Monty
- Painted FlowersPainted Flowers I bought these flowers for my wife yesterday. An early nod to Mother’s Day. Since we are having guests over at the houseContinue reading “Painted Flowers”
- On ExhibitBe well, Monty
- A Little More Than a DrizzleThe birds are insistent today. I don’t speak their language, but I get their point. It’s a brand new day and the wonder of thatContinue reading “A Little More Than a Drizzle”
- The HumanThe Human I saw the figure as I turned the corner —Cold, calloused, and oddly angled; Creepy. Nightmarish. A Human. It smelt something awful. MustContinue reading “The Human”
- StrangersBe well, Monty
- Another Garden DawdlerIt’s time for Rory’s Garden Dawdler again — nine questions posed once a week for our answering pleasure. Back in my garden and impressed withContinue reading “Another Garden Dawdler”
- FiguresBe well, Monty
- Willing and AbleWilling and AbleHe is willing, am I?Am I willing to let go, let God?To plant my seeds of doubtAnd trust faith will flourish? He isContinue reading “Willing and Able”
- An Exercise IIIBe well, Monty
- An Exercise IIBe well, Monty
- Under the Pi Pa TreeI’m sitting under the pi pa tree observing hundreds of yet to ripen fruits. I wonder what pi pa jam tastes like? It was justContinue reading “Under the Pi Pa Tree”
- An ExerciseBe well, Monty
- Morning RideMorning Ride Her arms wrapped around me,Wanting more, I sped up;She held on tighter;I smiled into the rushing wind,Wishing I could go faster. Mrs. MontyContinue reading “Morning Ride”
- An Old SketchAn Old Sketch What’s this?A tree yet to be.Or, If roasted,A fragrant snack. Be well, Monty
So you Finnished it!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Monty it has been a pleasure to get to read your poetry and to have you join the scavenger hunt! The rant prose poem is usually free verse prose but THERE ARE NO PROHIBITIONS to doing it your way – that is the beauty of it!! So I can’t complain and neither should you! It is always easier to look at the negative rather than the positive. Your rant turns that paradigm on its head! Bravo!!
LikeLiked by 1 person
It’s been able absolute joy! Thanks again 🙂