With a little digging I found another series of poetry prompts being provided by NaPoWriMo – 30 Poems in 30 Days. I’m starting in the middle and I’ll see how it goes as to whether I work to catch-up with the prior prompts or just carry on forward.
Write a poem that contains an ‘epic simile’.NaPoWriMo.net
I feel like I might have accidentally already done this prompt with my prior post “Epic Words”, but I’ll have another go at it.
An Epic Story
He stands stiff like a soldier at the emperor’s palace gate
On a bitter cold day,
Slightly bent at the waist to balance against a wind,
A wind so cold and strong it’s like a thousand polar giants are trying to blow out the glowing lanterns on the palace’s gate as if they are birthday cake candles.
He is impossibly long. Not long in absolute length, but long for him. Like a child that just went through a sudden growth spurt and is suddenly awkwardly tall and unsure what to do with their new body.
He is pale, so pale. Almost invisible. Translucent like a ghost that’s just not seen itself in a mirror. Perhaps, as pale as that soldier at the end of his frigid shift before finding the fire’s warmth. So pale that I didn’t see you coming – like an expert ninja hiding in plain sight.
Yet this morning you suddenly appeared. Right there. Once seen, impossible to ignore. Like Waldo in one of those search and seek books. But this Waldo was sitting right upon my nose waving at me. So I took a pair of tweezers and plucked him like the weird hair that he was.
- Getting OrganizedI spent a couple hours in the early morning yesterday cleaning up my home workspace. I didn’t take a before picture but, trust me, itContinue reading “Getting Organized”
- The Greens are VibrantWe’ve entered the rainy season here in Shanghai. I believe today is the official first day, but we got a little head start. The greensContinue reading “The Greens are Vibrant”
- Reading LukeAt the recommendation of my brother I’m reading Luke in the Bible. I’ve tried to read the Bible before but I always got stuck earlyContinue reading “Reading Luke”
- Gone Bald (Again)I did it. I shaved it all off. This isn’t my first time. The first time was my senior year in high school. Or moreContinue reading “Gone Bald (Again)”
- UnstapledI took Mrs. Monty in to the hospital today to have her surgical staples removed. She was a trouper as she alway is. It clearlyContinue reading “Unstapled”
- Partially FiguredBe well, Monty
- 3amI’ve been waking up at about 3am the past week or so. I’m fully awake and there is no question that my sleep for theContinue reading “3am”
- HorizonBe well, Monty
- Wound UpWound Up Amorphous thoughts twirling and whirling; rushing through widening gaps in my failing damn mind! Splashing forcefully against blade; Spinning my wheels and gearsContinue reading “Wound Up”
- PlayfulBe well, Monty
- Dragon in FlightBe well, Monty
- All of MeAll of Me The beauty in God, as I am coming to understand Him, is that He is all knowing. That I don’t need toContinue reading “All of Me”
- Morning ConcertIt’s drizzling around me. I first noticed the patter upon the umbrella above. A little too heavy to be the mosquitos dancing. A little tooContinue reading “Morning Concert”
- The Day After YesterdayThe Day After Yesterday The morning is cool. The air is a fresh floral green.The light is bright beyond the shade tree’s shadow. My mindContinue reading “The Day After Yesterday”
- Another Floral PatternBe well, Monty
- Weave TooBe well, Monty
- WeaveBe well, Monty
- Painted FlowersPainted Flowers I bought these flowers for my wife yesterday. An early nod to Mother’s Day. Since we are having guests over at the houseContinue reading “Painted Flowers”
- On ExhibitBe well, Monty
- A Little More Than a DrizzleThe birds are insistent today. I don’t speak their language, but I get their point. It’s a brand new day and the wonder of thatContinue reading “A Little More Than a Drizzle”
- The HumanThe Human I saw the figure as I turned the corner —Cold, calloused, and oddly angled; Creepy. Nightmarish. A Human. It smelt something awful. MustContinue reading “The Human”
- StrangersBe well, Monty
- Another Garden DawdlerIt’s time for Rory’s Garden Dawdler again — nine questions posed once a week for our answering pleasure. Back in my garden and impressed withContinue reading “Another Garden Dawdler”
- FiguresBe well, Monty
- Willing and AbleWilling and AbleHe is willing, am I?Am I willing to let go, let God?To plant my seeds of doubtAnd trust faith will flourish? He isContinue reading “Willing and Able”
- An Exercise IIIBe well, Monty
- An Exercise IIBe well, Monty
- Under the Pi Pa TreeI’m sitting under the pi pa tree observing hundreds of yet to ripen fruits. I wonder what pi pa jam tastes like? It was justContinue reading “Under the Pi Pa Tree”
- An ExerciseBe well, Monty
- Morning RideMorning Ride Her arms wrapped around me,Wanting more, I sped up;She held on tighter;I smiled into the rushing wind,Wishing I could go faster. Mrs. MontyContinue reading “Morning Ride”
- An Old SketchAn Old Sketch What’s this?A tree yet to be.Or, If roasted,A fragrant snack. Be well, Monty
Hehe! I was so into this and then the ending! BAM! I’m laughing!
LikeLiked by 1 person