Wow! April flew by in a prolific flash. Between the #AtoZ Challenge and various #NaPoWriMo activities there was no shortage of inspirational prompts and the writing/blogging community was alive. I’ve loved the energy — perhaps too much as I posted over 75 posts this month and broke all my records for readership/likes/comments. Thanks to everyone that had the endurance to keep up with me!
Here is a recap of the top three posts and the worst performer (based on number of views) for April:
The Stats: 75 views (top post on my blog so far)
The Gist: This was a flashback (re-post) from my old blog and recounts my shared experience with Turtle Soup together with my Shanghainese father-in-law. It’s a wonderful recount of a cross-cultural exchange (if I may say so myself).
The Take-away: I shared the link of this post with my network here in China which is why it blew up, but I do think people genuinely enjoy reading about true life experiences, especially if they are heartwarming and joyful. There were three other flash-back posts this month that are worth a visit if you missed them: 25-Years Ago Today Part I, 25-Years Ago Today Part II, and Boys Gone Wild.
The Stats: 56 views for top post (~500 views for entire series)
The Gist: An A to Z series of seriously silly poetry as part of the #AtoZChallenge. Each silly and/or sweet poem is illustrated.
The Take-away: This #AtoZ series was certainly the highlight of the month by bringing in the most new readers to my blog. And my theme of Seriously Silly Poetry was seriously fun to do. It took a lot of work but it was worth it and the series has now been compiled into a book: “Apples Eating Zebras and other seriously silly poetry” (available now in both paperback and e-book versions).
The Stats: 52 views for top post
The Gist: This was a reboot of my Golden Shovel collaboration project including three unique golden shovel prompts and submissions from multiple members of the writing community.
The Take-Away: I love when the writing community get together and flexes our creative muscles together. The diversity of each persons approach to the prompt is always compelling. Thanks again to the community members that joined. If you want to give it a try, it’s never too late.
The Flop: none
While I did have some lower performing posts I don’t consider any of the posts this month a flop. Some just got lost in the flurry.
Here are a few little gems that you might have missed:
This Glosa poem pulls from Claude McKay’s “Tropics in New York” and is one three different forms that I’ve explored this piece. It’s more of a poetic story then traditional poem and its worth checking out. This is one of a bunch of posts I made in response to NaPoWriMo – 30 Poems in 30 Days prompts (which I’m still working through as I encountered these prompts halfway through the month).
The paint chip poetry series is a wonderful little collaboration project hosted by No Love for Fatties and is always worth a look and try. Earth Mama is one of the weekly posts in this series.
Of all the poetry month prompts this month, I fell in love most with this series of prompts hosted by the lovely poet behind A Different Perspective. Each prompt inspired me to learn a new poetic form. Love Envisioned is one of the 11 posts in this series.
- Salting the EarthSalting the Earth Torrents of tears flow down streaky cheeked hillsPuddling into overflowing pools under footSalting the earth barrenStripping soil of it’s soulHis body nowContinue reading “Salting the Earth”
- Portrait in BlueBe well, Monty
- Under the Earth’s ShadowI lay awake under the earth’s shadowGentle breathing curled at my feetA companion in this darknessHolding guard against The cold reality and coming lightFor I’mContinue reading “Under the Earth’s Shadow”
- Blue HeronBe well, Monty
- Endure MeEndure meEndure my cold feet under the sheetsEndure my rough breaths sawing through the night’s airMy tossing and turningMy hogging all the blanketsMy nightmare kicksMyContinue reading “Endure Me”
- DepartingBe well, Monty
- Scenes from TodayThese are untouched photographs from today’s walk on Bainbridge Island, Washington (just applied a simple frame). Be well, Monty
- Perched in the MoonlightBe well, Monty
- Playing with TimeBe well, Monty
- How Did I Get to This Beautiful Place?Be well, Monty
- Birds in FlightBe well, Monty
- Rising SunBe well, Monty
- Forest MoonBe well, Monty
- BlessedBe well, Monty
- Snowy SceneHappy snow day! Be well, Monty
- Peek-a-BooPoking my head up after a spontaneous hiatus. I hope you are all well – happy and healthy. I’m on holiday visiting my mom inContinue reading “Peek-a-Boo”
- A Return to PatternsBe well, Monty
- QuietHe’s been quiet lately. The voice in my head. The voice that is, quite frankly, a bit nuts. Often compelling me toward darkness. Vacillating betweenContinue reading “Quiet”
- TodayToday’s a gorgeous weather day. Cool with a light breeze. Bright and sunny aside from my spot in the shade of the tree above me.Continue reading “Today”
- Shine OnShine on, shine on, shine on meShine your light on meLight me up, cast away my doubtsLift me out of these shadowsI’m ready, I’m ready,Continue reading “Shine On”
- Here I Go AgainHere I go again. Interrupting this negative space with some generic typeface. No particular intentions. Just wanna release built-up tensions. It’s coming out in dripsContinue reading “Here I Go Again”
- A Test of the HeartI’m wearing a Holter heart monitor today and I can’t help but wonder if it can see past the irregular beats and witness how whollyContinue reading “A Test of the Heart”
- An Observation and a QueryA fly walks by. S t r e t c h i n g Its legs, I guess? Be well, Monty
- A Gentle Drizzle Sets the SceneA gentle drizzle sets the scene;The last of the season’s persimmons hang-on,Half-concealed behind leaves shimmering underA quiet concert of pitter-patter percussion. In quick succession aContinue reading “A Gentle Drizzle Sets the Scene”
- The BirdsThe birds are watching me from the wire above. What are they thinking? Do they see my sadness?Or are they too busy balancing in theContinue reading “The Birds”
- Mired in MudMired in mud.I don’t like this feeling, but I appreciate the alliteration. Mired in mud, mud, mud.Stuck in repetition. Mired,So tired — In mudOf sinsContinue reading “Mired in Mud”
- Let Me Be (Note to Self)Let me be angry. Without good reason.Let me be lonelyEven if not alone.Let me be sadJust because I am.Please, Let me be. Be well, Monty
- Morning CocktailMorning Cocktail 3 parts Zoloft 1 part AbilifyMix meditatively and pray for help with my unbeliefDilute to taste and swallow (along with my pride)Assume PeacefulContinue reading “Morning Cocktail”
- Rhyming InventoriesA Rhyming Inventory of Things I’ve Not Been Doing Because They Would Make Me Feel Better (and I Don’t Deserve To)1. Prayer or meditation2. TakeContinue reading “Rhyming Inventories”
- Poetic LicenseI applied for my poetic license today;It was rejected due to a grammatical error.Oh, The irony. Be well, Monty
- REDACTED⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️ Be well, Monty