May might be here but I’m still working through the NaPoWriMo – 30 Poems in 30 Days prompts since I discovered them late.
Write a love poem.NaPoWriMo.net
I’ve decided to post a poem that I wrote a couple of years ago when I first started writing, which is my favorite among all the love poems I’ve written — perhaps because it is my own love story. What better way to celebrate love then to share it?
He was beautiful in his own majestic way. Sad eyes with lashes that seemed to go on forever. Grey skin wrinkled after years of basking in the sun. Calloused, dusty feet from so many miles trekked.
She was beautiful in every conceivable way. Almond eyes with dark chocolate centers. Radiant skin, translucent in the filtered sunlight. Porcelain feet disappearing into elegant heels.
He stood silently, swaying, almost swinging with musicality. Looking into an unseen distance with somber longing.
She strode with confidence, hips swaying the air around her. Eyes smiling coyly below her hat brim, lips red and inviting.
He sunk onto his calloused joints, no more miles to trek, trapped behind bars as children and couples played beyond reach.
She turned her head toward him, shiny chestnut hair swaying long down her back. Gently pointing with her delicate hand, her voice practically sung, calling out to him.
Reflecting in his large sad eyes, the couple stood side-by-side.The girl looking his way. The boy seeming awkward and a bit shy as he looked down upon the melting ice cream he held.
Closing his wizened eyes, never forgetting his freedom times, he saw his past in their future, and gifted them with a blessing, for perhaps the last time.
Without so much as a word, just a smiling grin, the girl turned to the boy and proceeded to smush the ice cream he held all over him. The boy guffawed and practically snorted ice-cream up his nose, as his laughter released.
Knowingly and at peace, with the couple’s laughter caressing his floppy ears, he let himself sink to a peaceful slumber.
Unknowingly blessed, the couple departed. A past stitching together their future as their first date at the Nagoya zoo etched into their memories.
I often think of that elephant at the zoo and wonder if he knew that after over twenty-five years that boy and girl would still be together reminiscing about him.
- Salting the EarthSalting the Earth Torrents of tears flow down streaky cheeked hillsPuddling into overflowing pools under footSalting the earth barrenStripping soil of it’s soulHis body nowContinue reading “Salting the Earth”
- Portrait in BlueBe well, Monty
- Under the Earth’s ShadowI lay awake under the earth’s shadowGentle breathing curled at my feetA companion in this darknessHolding guard against The cold reality and coming lightFor I’mContinue reading “Under the Earth’s Shadow”
- Blue HeronBe well, Monty
- Endure MeEndure meEndure my cold feet under the sheetsEndure my rough breaths sawing through the night’s airMy tossing and turningMy hogging all the blanketsMy nightmare kicksMyContinue reading “Endure Me”
- DepartingBe well, Monty
- Scenes from TodayThese are untouched photographs from today’s walk on Bainbridge Island, Washington (just applied a simple frame). Be well, Monty
- Perched in the MoonlightBe well, Monty
- Playing with TimeBe well, Monty
- How Did I Get to This Beautiful Place?Be well, Monty
- Birds in FlightBe well, Monty
- Rising SunBe well, Monty
- Forest MoonBe well, Monty
- BlessedBe well, Monty
- Snowy SceneHappy snow day! Be well, Monty
- Peek-a-BooPoking my head up after a spontaneous hiatus. I hope you are all well – happy and healthy. I’m on holiday visiting my mom inContinue reading “Peek-a-Boo”
- A Return to PatternsBe well, Monty
- QuietHe’s been quiet lately. The voice in my head. The voice that is, quite frankly, a bit nuts. Often compelling me toward darkness. Vacillating betweenContinue reading “Quiet”
- TodayToday’s a gorgeous weather day. Cool with a light breeze. Bright and sunny aside from my spot in the shade of the tree above me.Continue reading “Today”
- Shine OnShine on, shine on, shine on meShine your light on meLight me up, cast away my doubtsLift me out of these shadowsI’m ready, I’m ready,Continue reading “Shine On”
- Here I Go AgainHere I go again. Interrupting this negative space with some generic typeface. No particular intentions. Just wanna release built-up tensions. It’s coming out in dripsContinue reading “Here I Go Again”
- A Test of the HeartI’m wearing a Holter heart monitor today and I can’t help but wonder if it can see past the irregular beats and witness how whollyContinue reading “A Test of the Heart”
- An Observation and a QueryA fly walks by. S t r e t c h i n g Its legs, I guess? Be well, Monty
- A Gentle Drizzle Sets the SceneA gentle drizzle sets the scene;The last of the season’s persimmons hang-on,Half-concealed behind leaves shimmering underA quiet concert of pitter-patter percussion. In quick succession aContinue reading “A Gentle Drizzle Sets the Scene”
- The BirdsThe birds are watching me from the wire above. What are they thinking? Do they see my sadness?Or are they too busy balancing in theContinue reading “The Birds”
- Mired in MudMired in mud.I don’t like this feeling, but I appreciate the alliteration. Mired in mud, mud, mud.Stuck in repetition. Mired,So tired — In mudOf sinsContinue reading “Mired in Mud”
- Let Me Be (Note to Self)Let me be angry. Without good reason.Let me be lonelyEven if not alone.Let me be sadJust because I am.Please, Let me be. Be well, Monty
- Morning CocktailMorning Cocktail 3 parts Zoloft 1 part AbilifyMix meditatively and pray for help with my unbeliefDilute to taste and swallow (along with my pride)Assume PeacefulContinue reading “Morning Cocktail”
- Rhyming InventoriesA Rhyming Inventory of Things I’ve Not Been Doing Because They Would Make Me Feel Better (and I Don’t Deserve To)1. Prayer or meditation2. TakeContinue reading “Rhyming Inventories”
- Poetic LicenseI applied for my poetic license today;It was rejected due to a grammatical error.Oh, The irony. Be well, Monty
- REDACTED⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️ Be well, Monty