I always thought I was sweet, but lately I’m wondering if I’m more savory. We are ultimately all complex in temperament and taste so not singular in any one direction, but I’m talking about my basic, fundamental, flavor.
I’d be insincere if I said I was never bitter or sour. For sure there are times when I’m feeling particularly astringent and have a bite, but those are just fleeting moments. I’m genuine in my forgiveness and much prefer to let it go.
I admire those of you that live life to it’s spicy fullest. You bring a touch of heat to all of us and it’s fun and thrilling. But that’s not me. Oh, I love some heat culinarily, but my hypothesis is that I’m using spice in my diet in compensation for my relatively mild profile.
I’ve been known to be a bit salty. My editor a.k.a. mom once suggested I might want to tone down all the cussing in my writing. If I was truly salty I would have told her off, but I didn’t. I thoughtfully considered her point. The why behind her suggestion. I’ll still get salty at times, but a little bit of salt goes a long way. No need to be heavy handed with it.
Which brings us to sweet. This is definitely my comfort zone. Not candy sweet. But that kind of sticky pastry sweet that melts in your mouth and goes directly to your ass sweet (peppering in some salt just for fun here). This is my “goto” both when needing to be comforted and wanting to comfort. There is something warm and delicious about a sweet moment with a loved one.
But lately I’m feeling my true center is more savory than pure sweet. Like a stuffed french toast with a smokey cheese center. Wonderfully sweet on the outside, but offering something more interesting and multi-dimensional on the inside. A bit of umami. Tickling the taste buds with nuanced curiosity. Pleasant but unpredictable. Sometimes paired with a touch of heat, a pinch of salt, or even some sours or bitters.
I’m not sure but I think this is the result of aging well. Not exactly fermented. Perhaps cured? I’m not sure, but on the whole I like my new flavor.
- Getting OrganizedI spent a couple hours in the early morning yesterday cleaning up my home workspace. I didn’t take a before picture but, trust me, itContinue reading “Getting Organized”
- The Greens are VibrantWe’ve entered the rainy season here in Shanghai. I believe today is the official first day, but we got a little head start. The greensContinue reading “The Greens are Vibrant”
- Reading LukeAt the recommendation of my brother I’m reading Luke in the Bible. I’ve tried to read the Bible before but I always got stuck earlyContinue reading “Reading Luke”
- Gone Bald (Again)I did it. I shaved it all off. This isn’t my first time. The first time was my senior year in high school. Or moreContinue reading “Gone Bald (Again)”
- UnstapledI took Mrs. Monty in to the hospital today to have her surgical staples removed. She was a trouper as she alway is. It clearlyContinue reading “Unstapled”
- Partially FiguredBe well, Monty
- 3amI’ve been waking up at about 3am the past week or so. I’m fully awake and there is no question that my sleep for theContinue reading “3am”
- HorizonBe well, Monty
- Wound UpWound Up Amorphous thoughts twirling and whirling; rushing through widening gaps in my failing damn mind! Splashing forcefully against blade; Spinning my wheels and gearsContinue reading “Wound Up”
- PlayfulBe well, Monty
- Dragon in FlightBe well, Monty
- All of MeAll of Me The beauty in God, as I am coming to understand Him, is that He is all knowing. That I don’t need toContinue reading “All of Me”
- Morning ConcertIt’s drizzling around me. I first noticed the patter upon the umbrella above. A little too heavy to be the mosquitos dancing. A little tooContinue reading “Morning Concert”
- The Day After YesterdayThe Day After Yesterday The morning is cool. The air is a fresh floral green.The light is bright beyond the shade tree’s shadow. My mindContinue reading “The Day After Yesterday”
- Another Floral PatternBe well, Monty
- Weave TooBe well, Monty
- WeaveBe well, Monty
- Painted FlowersPainted Flowers I bought these flowers for my wife yesterday. An early nod to Mother’s Day. Since we are having guests over at the houseContinue reading “Painted Flowers”
- On ExhibitBe well, Monty
- A Little More Than a DrizzleThe birds are insistent today. I don’t speak their language, but I get their point. It’s a brand new day and the wonder of thatContinue reading “A Little More Than a Drizzle”
- The HumanThe Human I saw the figure as I turned the corner —Cold, calloused, and oddly angled; Creepy. Nightmarish. A Human. It smelt something awful. MustContinue reading “The Human”
- StrangersBe well, Monty
- Another Garden DawdlerIt’s time for Rory’s Garden Dawdler again — nine questions posed once a week for our answering pleasure. Back in my garden and impressed withContinue reading “Another Garden Dawdler”
- FiguresBe well, Monty
- Willing and AbleWilling and AbleHe is willing, am I?Am I willing to let go, let God?To plant my seeds of doubtAnd trust faith will flourish? He isContinue reading “Willing and Able”
- An Exercise IIIBe well, Monty
- An Exercise IIBe well, Monty
- Under the Pi Pa TreeI’m sitting under the pi pa tree observing hundreds of yet to ripen fruits. I wonder what pi pa jam tastes like? It was justContinue reading “Under the Pi Pa Tree”
- An ExerciseBe well, Monty
- Morning RideMorning Ride Her arms wrapped around me,Wanting more, I sped up;She held on tighter;I smiled into the rushing wind,Wishing I could go faster. Mrs. MontyContinue reading “Morning Ride”
- An Old SketchAn Old Sketch What’s this?A tree yet to be.Or, If roasted,A fragrant snack. Be well, Monty
“pleasant but unpredictable” that would be an accurate description for myself too.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I am definitely more of a savoury than a sweet person! That stuffed french toast sounds AMAZING
LikeLiked by 1 person
It really does doesn’t it? 😍
Which one am I? I feel like I’m a balanced meal. However, as I mature, I actually feel like I’m turning sweeter. Not because life is rosy, but in an attempt to fight the burning fire around me.
“Wonderfully sweet on the outside, but offering something more interesting and multi-dimensional on the inside.” I could not help but wince at that one. Why is it that we assume good/sweet is boring? Then we have people trying to be more interesting and turning into assholes. I believe we should appreciate the sweet pastry a bit more. I know I do.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and sorry to make you wince. Having studied flavor/taste scientifically sweetness is one-dimensional technically. Its a wonderful dimension though and life without it would truly be boring!
LikeLiked by 1 person