Paul, over at the Captain’s Speech has been hosting the preeminent blogging quiz awhile now but was on a mini-hiatus. When I saw his post announcing the latest quiz I admit getting a bit giddy with excitement. It’s been a long hot summer and I’m in need of some simple fun. And it just happens that the theme of this quiz is summer fun!Captain’s Speech – The Captain’s Quiz 8: Summer Side Up
THE 10 QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
1. You are going camping at a campground for four days and three nights. Does this excite you, or fill you with dread? Explain.
Excitement ensues! Ok, so I’m not much of a campground person. I’m more of a backpacking person, but I assume I can choose a campground as base camp and do some cool hikes during the day. I absolutely love sleeping outside. The BEST sleep ever.
2. They say that, “Sally sells seashells by the seashore”. How much money do you think Sally makes on a Saturday in July, and do you think her business should be set up elsewhere?
Sally is selling seashells by the Jersey Shore. Her seashell necklaces have become a “must-have” fashion accessory ever since being showcased stuck between cleavage on the Jersey Shore show. Sally clears $1,000 on a good day and every Saturday in July at the Jersey Shore is a good day. Sally isn’t moving shop. She is a Jersey Girl at heart.
3. The ideal temperature for sleep is approximately 18°C (65°F). What are five tips you have for staying cool while sleeping?
Tip 1: Take a cool shower before bed to bring your core temp down.
Tip 2: Sleep nude.
Tip 3: Select proper bedding. After years sleeping in Asia, I’ve learned that the best bedding for hot summers is a bamboo woven mat. It magically sucks the heat out of the body. Warning: If nude make sure it’s a fine weave mat. Otherwise your going to be pinching your personal parts and I know from experience that that is NOT fun.
Tip 4: Create some air circulation. If cooler outside, you can open up a window. Where I live it’s hot as hell outside during the nights so we turn on the ceiling fan (of course you can also use an air-con, but that makes the whole question a bit mute so I’m assuming you don’t have one).
Tip 5: Keep water by your bed and drink throughout the night. It’s easy to get dehydrated even while sleeping when the temps are high.
4. In Season 4 of The O.C., Summer Roberts adopts a pet rabbit and names her Pancakes. What animal would you adopt and what breakfast food would you name it after?
True story. Bacon the pig. It was only a pet “for the season” then it lived (or should I say died?) up to its name.
5. SummerSlam is an annual professional wrestling event produced by the WWE. Thinking of yourself as a wrestler, provide the following information: your wrestling name, your character traits, your catchphrase, and the name of your most devastating maneuver.
Monty the Mean Green Monster Truck Machine. Think Hulk – generally angry as f*ck. “Vroom Vroom Mutherf*cker”. “The Truck Stop” – very basic move. I throw the opponent against the ropes and they rebound back into my flexed Monster Truck tattooed chest and drop from the impact.
6. What is a frozen dessert you enjoy eating outside? On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the messiest), how messy is it?.
Chocolate custard (super creamy soft serve ice cream) from Rita’s Italian Ice shop. I’m afraid it’s not messy because I get it a cup and eat it with a spoon. I’m guessing I’ll lose points for not being messy, but perhaps there’s a bonus for honesty? 1 Messy Point.
7. You are standing in an above ground swimming pool and your sunglasses fall to the bottom. How do you retrieve them?
I’m picking them up with my toes and “footing” them to my hand. If I was wearing sunglasses then I was obviously not in the mood to completely submerge. The alternative solution of busting through the wall of the pool and letting all the water out seems a bit selfish to the others in the pool (although I like the idea).
8. “Walking on Sunshine” is an upbeat song by Katrina And The Waves. What songs would be on your summer playlist?
Heat Waves (Glass Animals), Cigarettes on Patios (Baby Jake), Thats What I Want (Lil Nas X), Ride (Twenty One Pilots)
9. What are the pros and cons of patio dining?
Pros: Your Outside! – nice breeze, cool ambience, less noisy then a crowded inside table.
Cons: Bugs and Smokers.
10. What is a summer job you have had and how long did you remain friends/in-touch with your co-workers after the job ended?
I worked construction one summer during college. It paid very well but it was a miserable job. Back breaking work in the humid heat of New Jersey. Very motivating to get my college degree and avoid manual work for the rest of my life. I kept in touch with my co-workers exactly 0 days after leaving.
1. You have entered the food truck business. Tell me about your new venture and your strategy to dominate the market.
So, I’m selling food trucks. I’m partnering up with the best body paint shop in town and selling the trucks fully decorated and decked out for the glamorous nights out on the town.
2. You are going on a summer road trip and can take one person with you. It can be absolutely anyone. Tell me about the trip.
This is a true planned trip. My son and I are going to drive across US once he graduates college. We’ll start in Los Angelas and travel east hitting BBQ spots across the country till we arrive in NYC (no less than 10 pounds heavier).
3. What are some of your favourite summer memories?
Gosh, I think it has to be related to backpacking trips when I was a kid in Vermont. Ties back into the first question. Sleeping outside is the best. I’m not a big fan of the summer heat so beach trips to the Jersey Shore would be the nightmare memories of my childhood.
- Under the Earth’s ShadowI lay awake under the earth’s shadowGentle breathing curled at my feetA companion in this darknessHolding guard against The cold reality and coming lightFor I’mContinue reading “Under the Earth’s Shadow”
- Blue HeronBe well, Monty
- Endure MeEndure meEndure my cold feet under the sheetsEndure my rough breaths sawing through the night’s airMy tossing and turningMy hogging all the blanketsMy nightmare kicksMyContinue reading “Endure Me”
- DepartingBe well, Monty
- Scenes from TodayThese are untouched photographs from today’s walk on Bainbridge Island, Washington (just applied a simple frame). Be well, Monty