‘the night cricket’s humble prayer‘“Doesn’t Every Poet Write a Poem About Unrequited Love” by Mary Oliver
What is the night cricket praying so incessantly for?
Persistence is a virtue they say, but I sometimes have my doubts. How can she hear God’s answer if there is not a moment of peace and quite?
My son called last night. Asking for money again. Has he taken a lesson from the night cricket? Is this his way of praying? If so, his prayers seem to get answered in the end. Persistence, I guess, at work?
I much prefer the silent prayer. It provides a comforting symmetry with the silent answer. And a more restful sleep.
- Floral PatternsYesterday I shared some pictures from my garden. Today I generated some patterns from the images. I’ll share both the original image and then theContinue reading “Floral Patterns”
- A Flowery ResponseI’ve been busy of late. Plugging away in preparation for April’s upcoming A to Z Challenge. I’m actually quite pleased with my progress and feelContinue reading “A Flowery Response”
- #AtoZ in 2023 Theme RevealWell it’s coming on April and that means its time to prepare for another #AtoZChallenge. Last year was my first year participating and my themeContinue reading “#AtoZ in 2023 Theme Reveal”
- Sunday Morn’I was the first to awake today. Even Jack was still nestled into his bedding, nose to tail. He stretched long as he rose ,Continue reading “Sunday Morn’”
- April On My MindApril is coming which means there are almost too many choices for artistic expression. April is (inter)National Poetry Month and for the past few years,Continue reading “April On My Mind”
- She’s at PeaceI don’t have a poem or vignette to mark her passing. At least not right now. She was ill for quite some time so herContinue reading “She’s at Peace”
- Geometry at PlayBe well, Monty
- SalutationBe well, Monty
- ContemplationBe well, Monty
- Eden’s DanceBe well, Monty
- We Bowed Before HimThe ten monks chanted. They chanted a well worn script of prayer. Together, but not quite in unison. Resonating with the constant beat of theContinue reading “We Bowed Before Him”
- Tea Time RoseBe well, Monty
- Sunday Morning RubsJack brought his blanket over to hang out with me this morning. He asked and received his Sunday morning rubs. It’s nice to feel useful.Continue reading “Sunday Morning Rubs”
- Playing with ColorBe well, Monty
- Diary of a DayBrother borrowed the car yesterday and reversed into a semi-truck. The amount of damage was less than one would expect when considering the foe, butContinue reading “Diary of a Day”
- I Went Out to Hear Silence“I Went Out to Hear” – writing prompt from James Crews’ “Weekly Pause” – I went out to hear SilenceBut her voice shattered Slicing throughContinue reading “I Went Out to Hear Silence”
- Assembly LineBe well, Monty
- A Bold PalletBe well, Monty
- It’s All AlrightIf you noticed, I’ve been trying to get back into a bit of a writing groove this week. I don’t always have something to say,Continue reading “It’s All Alright”
- Peeking Around the CornerBe well, Monty
- Forest Night SkyBe well, Monty
- Winter in My BonesShanghai FEELS cold during these wet winter days. Much colder than the thermometer declares. It’s as if winter here is an inside-out affair. Starting inContinue reading “Winter in My Bones”
- These DaysThese days are muddy. I put one foot slowly in front of the other. I only know that I’ve moved forward by looking backward atContinue reading “These Days”
- Portrait on WallBe well, Monty
- Six FoldsSix Folds I fold ingots out of silver coated paper;A delicate duty for my clumsy fingers;The thin papers too easy to tear;The silver coating tooContinue reading “Six Folds”
- Forest to SkyBe well, Monty
- Salting the EarthSalting the Earth Torrents of tears flow down streaky cheeked hillsPuddling into overflowing pools under footSalting the earth barrenStripping soil of it’s soulHis body nowContinue reading “Salting the Earth”
- Portrait in BlueBe well, Monty
- Under the Earth’s ShadowI lay awake under the earth’s shadowGentle breathing curled at my feetA companion in this darknessHolding guard against The cold reality and coming lightFor I’mContinue reading “Under the Earth’s Shadow”
- Blue HeronBe well, Monty
- Endure MeEndure meEndure my cold feet under the sheetsEndure my rough breaths sawing through the night’s airMy tossing and turningMy hogging all the blanketsMy nightmare kicksMyContinue reading “Endure Me”
I am very persistent when it comes to the things I attempt (not directly dependent on others). When it comes to involving other people – once and then, I am done.
That kind of persistence you mention kind of annoys me because they don’t say the squeaky wheel gets the grease for nothing. People whine and complain and nag and get what they ask for, but those who are silently persistent get nothing. It’s unfair. The wrong people are rewarded, I feel.
Comparing asking someone for something to prayer was amusing and very on point.
LikeLiked by 1 person
You nailed it. It is annoying and very frustrating that annoyance is a successful tactic that drowns out quite, solid work.
LikeLiked by 1 person